Making sense of scents
Whether you’re a seasoned aromatherapy veteran or a first-time user, the list of available essential oils and aromas can be overwhelming. How do you figure out which oil and aroma is right for you? Maybe you just want to improve your mood, but you’re running into words such as “camphoraceous” and “balsamic”. Huh?
You’re not alone. More and more people are incorporating aromatherapy into their lives, and depending on your experience level there can be a lot to learn. We’re here to help with a handy aromatherapy scents list.
Essential oil scent categories
Most essential oil scents can be classified into the following categories:
- Camphoraceous – A camphoraceous scent is one that’s similar to camphor; a strongly aromatic, almost medicinal scent. Camphoraceous essential oils include eucalyptus, frankincense, hyssop, marjoram, rosemary, sage and, of course, camphor.
- Floral – Essential oils derived from flowering botanical sources are referred to as floral scents. These essential oils include clary sage, chamomile, geranium, jasmine, juniper berry, lavender, rose, and ylang ylang.
- Mint – Herbs in the mint family are strongly aromatic, and the scent has long been revered by herbalists. In fact, in Greek mythology, mint is referred to as “the herb of hospitality.” One of the first known uses of mint was as an air deodorizer. Essential oils with a mint scent include pennyroyal, peppermint, spearmint and wintergreen, among others.
- Musky – Musky essential oils have robust, earthy scents that are particularly penetrating and titillating to our sense of smell. These include myrrh, patchouli and citronella.
- Spicy – Aromatic and invigorating, spicy essential oils can liven up any room. Essential oils with this type of scent include anise, basil, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, oregano, tea tree, thyme, and more.
- Sweet – One of the most popular scent categories, our sweet-scented oils include citronella, grapefruit, lemongrass, lemon, lime, orange and tangerine.
- Woodsy – The fresh, natural, earthy scent of these essential oils will remind you of a walk through a forest of aromatic plants and trees, including Atlas cedar, balsam fir, clove, cedarwood, cypress and pine.
Ready to start exploring the world of aromatherapy scents? It’s easy with NOW® Solutions’ fantastic selection of essential oils and essential oil blends, and you’ll enjoy them even more when you factor in our steadfast commitment to quality.