B Complex Vitamins
Vitamin B is actually a family of water-soluble vitamins that’s important for the health of many organs and body systems. B vitamins serve as coenzymes, which are biochemical cofactors that are necessary for a wide range of chemical reactions in the body.*
The “coenzyme” form of a B vitamin refers to its biologically active form in the human body. B vitamins are especially important for nervous system and neurological health, but their roles as coenzymes make them critical for normal cellular function.*
- Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin) – Thiamin plays a central role in the generation of energy from carbohydrates.* It’s involved in RNA and DNA production, as well as healthy nervous system function.* It’s also involved in the production of hydrochloric acid, an important aspect of healthy digestion.* The biologically active coenzyme form of vitamin B-1 is thiamin co-carboxylase.
- Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin) – Riboflavin is important for circulatory and immune health and is especially important for developing fetuses during pregnancy.* It’s involved in the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.* One of the biologically active forms of vitamin B-2 is riboflavin-5-phosphate.
- Vitamin B-3 (Niacin) – Also known as niacinamide and nicotinic acid, niacin plays a role in the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats and is involved in the production of hydrochloric acid.* The nicotinic acid form helps to support healthy circulation and also helps to maintain cholesterol levels already within the healthy range.* One biologically active coenzyme form of vitamin B-3 is nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, or NAD.
- Vitamin B-5 (Pantothenic Acid) – Vitamin B-5 is extremely important for healthy cognitive function due to its role in the production of neurotransmitters.* Like other B vitamins, it’s involved in the metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates for energy.* Most importantly, pantothenic acid is required for the synthesis of coenzyme A, which is necessary for numerous body functions.* Another form of vitamin B-5 is pantethine.
- Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine) – Also known as pyridoxine, vitamin B-6 is involved in cardiovascular and immune system health and helps to balance sodium and potassium levels.* Pyrodoxine also plays a role in the production of the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine and norepinephrine.* The biologically active coenzyme form of vitamin B-6 is P-5-P.
- Vitamin B-7 (Biotin) – Vitamin B-7 is necessary for normal growth and body function. It’s a key regulatory element in gluconeogenesis (the generation of glucose from carbon sources), fatty acid synthesis, and in the metabolism of some amino acids.* Alongside its role in energy production, biotin enhances the synthesis of certain proteins and promotes normal immunity.* Biotin is probably best known for its role in skin health and, to a lesser extent, for hair and nail health.*
- Vitamin B-12 (Cobalamin) – B-12 is vitally important for the growth and health of the nervous system, as well as for cellular growth and longevity.* It’s involved in digestion and the absorption of foods, and its role in the metabolism of homocysteine makes it important for cardiovascular function.* Like other B vitamins, it’s also involved in the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates.* The biologically active coenzyme forms of vitamin B-12 are dibencozide and methycobalamin.
Other B vitamins and B vitamin-like nutrients with important physiological roles include folate, choline, inositol and para-aminobenzoic acid, or PABA, a common ingredient in many commercial skin care products. (see all of our B Vitamins)
The NOW® Difference
Since 1968 NOW has been empowering people to lead healthier lives with our award-winning dietary supplements and natural products. We know you have a lot of brands to choose from when it comes to dietary supplements. When you choose NOW you’re choosing one of the industry’s oldest and most established manufacturers. We’ve fostered long-standing relationships with the world’s top ingredient suppliers, and we source only premium quality ingredients for all NOW products, including our vitamin line.
With our state-of-the-art, in-house laboratory facilities and more than 100 experts focused on ensuring our products meet our industry-leading commitment to quality, you can trust NOW for all of your B vitamin supplement needs.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.