2 ½ cups
sweet onion, finely chopped
chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley, rinsed
tomatoes, small dice
cucumber, finely chopped
1 can (15 ounces)
chickpeas, rinsed, drained
fresh mint, minced
fresh lemon juice
ground black pepper
- Place cold water in a small pot with amaranth, ½ teaspoon salt, and cumin on medium-high heat.
- Allow for the mixture to come up to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low; cover for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- In a separate sauté pan, place 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, chopped onions, and chopped garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes on medium heat or until the onions have softened.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped flat leaf parsley with tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, fresh mint, sautéed onions and garlic.
- Add to the cooled amaranth.
- Toss in remaining olive oil and lemon juice.
- Season with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and serve.