#NOWAmbassador Stephanie Violett is an Ultra Marathoner, Coach and Sports Nutritionist.
As an athlete, what I put in my body is really important. I want to make sure that the foods I eat are more than just calories; that they are nutrient-dense, nourishing foods that will keep my body healthy and strong.
This doesn’t seem like a hard thing to do in a culture with an overabundance of food. But, many of the “foods” available are not food at all- rather they are refined, processed, packaged things formerly known as food.
To avoid this, I choose to focus on eating real food- things that have been grown out of the ground and resemble their initial state. There are a few reasons for this:
- These foods have so many more nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- These foods don’t have additives, preservatives, and a long list of ingredients. Some of which I can’t pronounce.
- They just taste better! Fresh, real foods tastes best, hands down.
NOW® is a company that really gets this. I get most of my non-produce groceries from NOW. They offer high quality foods that are not subject to mass processing or refinement. I feel good about the foods that I get, which is very important to me.
Stephanie’s Typical Day
A typical day usually starts with coffee and a small pre-run breakfast. Normally, I reach for plain whole-milk yogurt topped with NOW Real Food® nuts and seeds, and frozen berries.
Then I run. Or bike, ski, lift, yoga, hike, etc.
Next up is second breakfast. I use this eating occasion post-activity to absorb a lot of good nutrients. Depending on my mood, I’ll choose sweet or savory. My go-to sweet option is a smoothie bowl, made with frozen berries, NOW® Spirulina, almond milk, avocado, NOW Real Food® chia seeds, a handful of nuts, and spinach. Blend it all up and top with homemade granola for crunch. My savory option is eggs cooked in Ellyndale® Organic Avocado Oil, and served with roasted sweet potatoes, greens, and avocado.
Lunch + Afternoon Snack
Lunch is usually dinner leftovers + kombucha. I usually have an afternoon snack consisting of nut butter and chocolate, or some sort of homemade treat.
I love to cook and create new recipes. I’m always trying out new combinations of flavors and ingredients. One staple in my household is my Nourish Bowl. I love this recipe because it’s simple and can be made with almost any ingredients I have at home. Here is the base recipe:
- 1 cup cooked grains: Living Now® Quinoa, Sprouted Brown Rice, etc.
- 2 cups of greens: spinach, arugula, kale
- ½ cup roasted vegetables: sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, squash, broccoli, etc.
- ½ cup beans, chickpeas, lentils, or tempeh
- ½ avocado
- Homemade dressing: Avocado Oil, NOW® Nutritional Yeast, apple cider vinegar, salt
- Top with thinly sliced radishes, NOW Real Food® pumpkin or sesame seeds, fresh cilantro or mint.
YUM! I will use salmon or elk instead of the beans at times when I’m craving more protein. And to keep it fresh I try to use seasonal produce.
Part of my bedtime ritual includes a cup of NOW Real Tea® + yogurt with a drizzle of honey or a handful of nuts and chocolate.
No two days look the same for me, but this is a good example of how I use real foods to fuel my body. I always feel good when I eat like this!