Adapted from the California Nut Festival Cookbook, Chico California, 2007
Makes 2 small loaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Plump apricots in boiling water and set aside.
- Thoroughly blend sugar, shortening and egg.
- Stir in milk, orange juice and orange rind.
- Sift dry ingredients and stir in nuts until nuts are well mixed in.
- Add to liquid mixture.
- Drain and coarsely chop apricots.
- Blend into batter and pour into 2 small 7-inch loaf pans.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes on a rack, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Wrap in foil and let stand in the refrigerator for 2 days to allow flavors to blend.
*NOW items available at your local health food store