From Betty Richard
Makes 8 cups
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, coconut, raw wheat germ or soy grits, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds, then toss ingredients together thoroughly.
- Combine honey and oil. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until well mixed. Add the cold water, a little at a time, mixing until crumbly.
- Pour mixture into a large, heavy, shallow baking pan, which has been lightly brushed with oil. Spread mixture evenly to edges of pan.
- Place pan on middle rack of a preheated oven and bake for 1 ½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Add one cup slivered almonds and continue to bake for ½ hour longer, or until mixture is thoroughly dry and light brown in color. Cereal should feel crisp to the touch.
- Turn oven off and allow cereal to cool in oven. If raisins are to be included, add them at this point.
- Remove cereal from oven, cool and put in a tightly-covered container. Store in a cool, dry place.
- Serve plain or with fresh fruit.
*NOW items available at your local health food store