This salad tastes even better the next day, after the flavors are well mixed together. You can substitute raisins for the goldenberries and use almonds or pecans instead of walnuts.
*NOW products available at your local health food store
- Boil the water with a pinch of salt, and add the rinsed quinoa.
- Turn stove down to medium-low and let it cook for roughly 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork, and let it cool in the fridge.
- Preheat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil and soften the finely chopped onion and celery. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Try not to brown them, cook 5 to 7 minutes on medium - low heat. Set aside in a large salad bowl.
- Rinse the parsley well and chop it finely, followed by the goldenberries or raisins and green onions.
- Add all this to the onion and celery mixture.
- Core and dice the apple, and add the apple chunks to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon over the apple.
- Add quinoa and walnuts the mixture and drizzle with the oil.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste. Season with more lemon juice if you like.
- Mix well and cool completely. Allow the flavors to combine for at least 20 minutes before serving.