Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes
This simple dish uses heart-healthy olive oil to coat the spinach leaves and a splash of lemon juice brightens the flavors. The spinach should be wilted quickly, without overcooking it.
Cook’s Review: “I really liked this. It’s easy to make, but I know from experience that you have to watch the spinach when cooking…once it starts the wilting process it cooks very quickly and can get over-wilted if not watched.” ~ Natalie S.
*NOW products available at your local health food store
- Sort through spinach, discarding stems and bruised or yellow leaves.
- Wash spinach in plenty of cold water; if it’s sandy, wash a second time, then spin or pat dry.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and lemon juice and sauté for one minute.
- Turn the heat to high and add the spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few pinches of pepper.
- Wilt the spinach, tossing with tongs to coat the leaves with the hot oil and garlic. (The water left on the leaves after washing will help it to wilt quickly.)
- Toss in the walnuts and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat: 50
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 4g
Dietary Fiber: 2g