Adapted from AllRecipes website
This recipe is a rich, hearty, and nutritious main or side dish.
Recipe Review: “I made this dish for a potluck dinner to offer a healthy alternative to all the high fat dishes that are typically on a potluck menu. The colorful ingredients (red tomatoes and green peas) looked lovely in a red casserole dish.” ~ Sue V.
Makes 12 servings
|1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained |
|2 tablespoons white wine |
|2 tablespoons NOW Certified Organic Coconut Oil*|
|4 cloves garlic, minced |
|1 small onion, chopped |
|1 small stalk celery, finely chopped |
|3 1/2 cups vegetable broth |
|2 cups rinsed NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese |
|1/2 cup evaporated milk |
|1 cup frozen peas, thawed |
|Salt to taste |
|1/2 teaspoon ground pepper |
*NOW items available at your local health food store
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Adjust oven rack to its topmost position. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Adjust oven rack to its topmost position. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Toss the diced tomatoes with the wine, and spread out on baking sheet.
- Roast in preheated oven until the tomatoes have dried a bit, but have not begun to burn, about 15 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are just starting to turn brown at the edges, remove, and allow to rest at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, and celery.
- Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth and quinoa, and bring to a boil over high heat
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, evaporated milk, peas, and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and white pepper
Cholesterol: 7 mg
Fiber: 3.3 g
Sodium: 318 mg
Carbohydrates: 24.8 g
Fat: 6.3 g
Protein: 7.8 g