Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Sweet apricots and fresh tarragon add lively flavor to this colorful side dish.
Makes 8 servings
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice and enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- Simmer, covered, until rice grains are tender and most have popped open; 40 to 50 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a second medium saucepan, bring broth and barley to boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook until barley is tender and all the liquid is absorbed; about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes, then toss with rice.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened; about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, apricots, barley and rice and cook until heated through.
- Stir in tarragon, salt and pepper and serve.
230 calories (20 from fat)
2.5 g total fat
0 g saturated fat
380 mg sodium
47 g total carbohydrate (7 g dietary fiber, 10 g sugar)
6 g protein
*NOW items available at your local health food store