Adapted from Whole Foods Market Recipes
Mushrooms roasted in a simple oil-free pear balsamic dressing are delicious tossed with quinoa, spinach, green onions and almonds. Serve this dish warm, room temperature or cold, as a side dish or the main event.
|1/4 cup balsamic vinegar |
|2 teaspoons Dijon mustard |
|1 pear, peeled, cored and cut into chunks |
|1 garlic clove, halved |
|2 pounds portobello mushrooms, stemmed and gills scraped out |
|1 cup NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|3 cups tightly packed fresh spinach, chopped |
|4 green onions, thinly sliced |
|1/2 cup NOW Almonds*, chopped|
|1/8 teaspoon sea salt (Himalayan) |
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Put vinegar, mustard, pear and garlic in a blender with 1/3 cup water and blend until smooth, about 1 minute, to make the dressing.
- Cut mushrooms into chunks and combine in a large mixing bowl with 1/4 cup of the dressing.
- Spread mushrooms in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, stirring occasionally; 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- While mushrooms roast, prepare quinoa. In a medium pot, bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa, cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and set aside, covered, 10 minutes more, then uncover and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Combine mushrooms, quinoa, spinach, green onions, almonds, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup more dressing in a large, wide serving bowl.
- Stir to mix well.
- Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
280 calories (60 from fat)
7 g total fat
0 g saturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
120 mg sodium
43 g total carbohydrate (7 g dietary fiber, 9 g sugar)
12 g protein
*NOW items found at your local health food store