Adapted from Whole Foods' recipes, www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes
This couscous dish combines dried fruits and nuts with an earthy blend of Moroccan spices. It makes a delicious accompaniment to seasoned meats, fish, vegetables or a Moroccan tagine. Serve freshly steamed or warmed up the next day.
- Place 2 cups of water in pot along with figs, apricots and raisins and heat to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, place couscous in a bowl with turmeric, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix couscous until it is well coated with olive oil.
- After water comes to a boil, remove dried fruits and set aside.
- Add water to the couscous and cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and allow to steam for 15 minutes.
- While couscous is steaming, prepare dressing by combining lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- When couscous is done, flake with a fork until all grains are fluffed and separated.
- Add dried fruits, red and yellow peppers, onion, nuts and cilantro.
- Pour in dressing.
- Gently mix together with a large serving spoon until all ingredients and dressing are well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
Per Serving (137 g-wt.):
410 calories (180 from fat)
20 g total fat
3 g saturated fat
7 g protein
51g total carbohydrate (4 g dietary fiber, 17 g sugar)
0 mg cholesterol
300 mg sodium
*NOW items available at your local health food store