Adapted from “From Tapas to Meze”, Crown Pub, 1994
The lentils in this tasty salad are a good source of protein, folate, and iron.
|1 cup dried lentils, rinsed |
|4 cloves garlic, bruised (lightly mashed), plus 2 cloves garlic, minced |
|3 bay leaves |
|1/4 teaspoon dried oregano |
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar |
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin |
|1 teaspoon salt |
|Freshly ground black pepper |
|1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, finely diced |
|1 small red onion, diced |
|18 pitted kalamata olives |
|6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled |
- Place lentils, the 4 bruised garlic cloves, bay leaves and oregano in a pot and cover with water by 2 inches.
- Heat to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until lentils are tender; drain and let cool.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and cumin in a small bowl, then season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine the lentils, onion, bell pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl, then toss with the vinaigrette. Let stand 20 minutes; season as needed with additional salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- Garnish the salad with the olives and crumbled feta.
Nutritional Information per serving:
23 g fat
6 g saturated fat
25 mg cholesterol
24 g carbohydrates
13 g protein
893 mg sodium
8 g fiber
*NOW items available at your local health food store