Adapted from Gourmet magazine, September, 2006, by NOW employee, Sherri Janes. Sherri says this dish takes some time to prepare, but it’s absolutely delicious! She serves it with fish for a wonderful vegetarian meal.
|1 ½ lbs. eggplant, cut into ½ -inch cubes |
|¾ lb. zucchini, cut into ½-inch cubes |
|10 tablespoons Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 teaspoon salt |
|1 teaspoon black pepper |
|1 cup chopped scallion (one bunch) |
|1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin |
|½ teaspoon coriander |
|¼ teaspoon cayenne |
|1 ¼ cups pearl barley (8oz.) |
|¾ cup water |
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice |
|1 (14 oz.) can reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (1 ¾ cups) |
|1 garlic clove, minced |
|¼ teaspoon NOW Real Food® Xylitol*|
|½ lb. cherry tomatoes, quartered |
|1/3 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and halved |
|½ cup thinly sliced red onion |
|1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley |
|½ cup chopped fresh mint |
To roast eggplant and zucchini:
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss eggplant and zucchini with 5 tablespoons olive oil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¾ teaspoon black pepper in a bowl, then spread in two oiled large, shallow
- (1-inch deep) baking pans.
- Roast vegetables in oven, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 20-25 minutes total.
- Combine vegetables in one pan and cool, reserving other pan for cooling barley.
To cook barley:
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 3-to-4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallion, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, stirring until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add barley and cook, stirring until well-coated with oil, 2 minutes more.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed and barley is tender; 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to reserved shallow baking pan and spread to quickly cool, uncovered, to room temperature; about 20 minutes.
To make dressing and assemble salad:
- Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons oil in a large bowl.
- Add barley, roasted vegetables, and remaining ingredients to bowl with dressing and toss until combined well.
- Serve with slices of a hard cheese, such as parmesan.
Note: This salad can be made one day ahead and chilled, covered. Return to room temperature before serving.
*NOW items available at your local health food store