This satisfying main dish salad combines the crunch of pepper and the chewiness of rice with a tangy dressing.
|1 1/3 cups dry brown rice |
|1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips |
|1 small red onion, diced |
|½ cup small capers, rinsed and drained |
|½ cup pitted black olives, chopped |
|4 scallions, thinly sliced |
|¼ cup chopped fresh parsley |
|¼ cup chopped fresh dill |
|2 2/3 cups water |
|1 tbs. Dijon mustard |
|3 tbs. red wine vinegar |
|¼ tsp. sugar or honey |
|¼ tsp. salt |
|¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper or to taste |
| 3 tbs. olive oil |
|1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips |
- Put rice and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed; about 1 hour.
- Put cooked rice in a medium serving bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, and sugar or honey.
- Whisk in salt and pepper; then oil.
- Pour mixture over warm rice and toss well.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Service warm or chilled.