Adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine
This salad makes a delicious accompaniment to roast pork or chicken.
Makes 6 servings
|1-1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and grated on the medium holes of a box grater |
|1 cup NOW Walnuts, chopped|
|1/2 cup dried currants |
|1 orange, juiced (about 1/2 cup) |
|3 Tbs. apple-cider vinegar |
|1 Tbs. honey |
|3 Tbs. walnut oil |
|Kosher or sea salt |
|Freshly ground black pepper |
|2-1/2 Tbs. finely chopped chives |
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Combine the grated carrots, walnuts, and currants in a medium serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, cider vinegar, and honey.
- Slowly whisk in the walnut oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the carrot mixture with the vinaigrette and 2 Tbs. of the chives.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- You can serve the salad immediately, but it will taste even better if you let it sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 Tbs. chives right before serving.
Calories from Fat: 180
Total Fat: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 210 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 27 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 5 g