Adapted from “The Best Years in Life” Healthy Recipes
Try something different and take your salad to the next level by combining fruits, vegetables and whole grains in one hearty dish. If you have some extra time, make this salad a day ahead to allow the flavors to develop.
|1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut in bite-size pieces |
|1/2 tomato, seeded, cut into bite-size pieces (optional) |
|1/4 cup chopped radish (may substitute with sliced water chestnuts) |
|1/4 cup chopped scallions |
|1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (apricots, raisins, dates or cherries) |
|2 Tbsp. chopped NOW Real Food® Almonds*|
|3 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, diced |
|3 cups cooked (and cooled) brown rice, couscous, bulgur, or NOW Real Food® Quinoa*|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste |
|Juice of 1 lime |
|2 Tbsp. Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 Tbsp. finely chopped (or 2 tsp. dried) chives or flat-leaf parsley |
|2 Tbsp. finely chopped (or 2 tsp. dried) mint or cilantro |
- In a large bowl place bell pepper, tomato, radish, scallions, dried fruit, nuts and cheese, then mix lightly with fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fluff cooled grain with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add to the bowl of salad ingredients, mixing it in lightly with fork.
- Pour lime juice, oil and herbs into a small container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover and shake well until combined.
- Drizzle over the salad and mix lightly with a fork.
- Serve or refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days.
9 g total fat (3 g saturated fat)
28 g carbohydrate
7 g protein
3 g dietary fiber
130 mg sodium
*NOW items available at your local health food store