Submitted by NOW employee, Burhan Ahmed. This recipe won first place in a “Healthy Recipe” contest for NOW employees.
Makes about 4 cups
- You can either use a garlic roaster or just place the cloves of garlic in aluminum foil and bake for about 20-30 minutes at 325 degrees F.
Toasting Pine nuts:
- Heat a pan or skillet and then place as many pine nuts as you want in the pan or skillet and allow the nuts to get golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- On a cutting board, mince and mash the roasted garlic to a paste with the salt.
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas with the garlic paste, tahini, lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, 2 pinches of cayenne and ½ cup water, scraping down the sides until the hummus is smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add water, if needed, to thin the hummus to the desired consistency and transfer the hummus to a bowl.
- In food processor (cleaned from previous ingredients), puree the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil with the parsley until the oil is bright green and the parsley is minced.
- Transfer the parsley oil to a small jar.
- Place the hummus in a bowl.
- Drizzle the parsley oil on the hummus and sprinkle it with lightly toasted pine nuts.
- Serve with crackers or pita.
Note: The hummus and the parsley oil may be made 3 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
*NOW items available at your local health food store