Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a high-protein, gluten-free ancient grain that cooks much like rice and has a texture similar to couscous. Combined with lemon, onion, wine, cashews and sun-dried tomato, this is a delicious vegetarian entrée.
- Heat the olive oil over medium health in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, vegetable stock, wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the quinoa and salt.
- Reduce heat, and simmer covered about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli on top and simmer an additional 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat, toss gently until combined.
- Add ground pepper and additional salt, if desired, to taste.
- Garnish with cashews and scallions before serving.
Nutritional info per 6.25 oz. serving:
280 calories (120 from fat)
13 g total fat
2.5 g saturated fat
4 g dietary fiber
9 g protein
31 g carbohydrate
0 mg cholesterol
120 mg sodium
*NOW items available at your local health food store