Add cubed chicken to this hearty dish for more protein and a one-pot meal.Serves 8
|2 Tablespoons Ellyndale Organics™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 large yellow or Vidalia onion, thinly sliced |
|1 butternut squash (about 2 lbs.), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces |
|1 can (15 oz.) regular (not light) coconut milk |
|Salt and pepper, to taste |
|1 Tablespoon chopped sage |
|1/2 lb. uncooked elbow macaroni |
|1 cup chopped NOW Walnuts*|
|1/2 cup Italian-flavored bread crumbs |
|Optional: 1 lb. precooked and cubed chicken |
|Optional: 1 cup each of other winter vegetables of your choice, such as cauliflower or Brussels sprouts. |
*NOW ingredients available at your local health food store
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 9- x 13-inch casserole dish with olive oil or coconut oil; set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add squash, coconut milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add other winter vegetables of your choice, such as cauliflower or Brussels sprouts.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in sage and simmer 1 minute more. (This part can be made ahead, up to 1 day in advance.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook until tender but still firm, about 8 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water, drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Transfer squash mixture to bowl with pasta.
- Add walnuts, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Add precooked chicken chunks for additional protein and a one-pot meal.
- Transfer to prepared dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake until just golden brown and hot throughout, about 30 minutes.