Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Walnuts add a little crunch and brown rice takes the place of bread crumbs, making these savory vegetarian burgers a great gluten-free meal. Serve with a green salad or cooked greens
Cook’s Review: “This recipe was easy to make and very tasty.” ~ Elena H.
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, walnuts, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- In a food processor, purée 1 cup rice, lentils and egg until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl with vegetables, add remaining 1 cup rice and stir to combine.
- Form lentil mixture into 10 to 12 patties, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture to make each one.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Arrange half of the patties in skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat process with remaining sunflower oil and patties.
- Serve hot
Calories from Fat: 100
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 35 mg
Sodium: 220 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 27 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars: 2 g
Protein: 9 g