Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes
Roasted or rotisserie chicken works perfectly in this recipe. Any leftover quinoa primavera can be chilled and tossed with vinaigrette to make a lively salad.
Cook’s Review: “I used chicken broth instead of water for more flavor. The blend of red onion, sweet peas, and asparagus was awesome. This dish was easy to make and very good!” ~ Shari L.
Makes 4 servings
|1 cup NOW Certified Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|2 cups water |
|1 Tablespoon NOW Certified Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1/2 cup finely chopped red onion |
|1/2 pound (about 1/2 bunch) asparagus, woody ends snapped off and discarded, spears cut into 1-inch pieces |
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped |
|1 cup fresh peas or frozen petite peas, thawed |
|1 cup shredded cooked chicken |
|1 cup thinly sliced baby spinach leaves |
|Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste |
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain.
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and asparagus.
- Cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender and bright green, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and peas and continue cooking for another minute.
- Stir in chicken and cooked quinoa.
- Add the spinach and stir until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Dietary Fiber: 7g