Adapted from Allrecipes.com
This hearty, flavorful dish can be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth.
Cook’s Review: “This is very easy to make. You could make a vegetarian version by substituting tofu for the chicken.” Rosemary N.
Makes 4 servings
|2 tablespoons NOW Organic Virgin Coconut Oil*|
|1 small onion, diced |
|1 stalk celery, diced |
|3 carrots, diced |
|1 cup NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|2 cups chicken broth |
|1 tablespoon Italian seasoning |
|1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage |
|1 cup shredded cooked chicken meat |
|Salt and black pepper, to taste |
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the onion, celery, and carrots in the hot oil until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and sage.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken meat; season with salt and pepper
Total Fat: 12.4 g
Cholesterol: 26 mg
Sodium: 161 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 34.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.2 g
Protein: 16.4 g