Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes
These bars are great for dessert and also make a healthy lunchbox treat. Oats, sunflower seeds and dried fruit provide great flavor and nutrition.
Cook’s Review: “Easy and fun to make. My family liked it!” ~ Elena H.
Makes about 16 bars
|1 cup NOW Rolled Oats*|
|1 cup whole spelt or whole wheat flour |
|1/2 cup packed brown sugar |
|1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt |
|1/4 teaspoon baking soda |
|1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon |
|1/4 cup NOW Sunflower Seeds*|
|1/4 cup dried cherries |
|1/2 cup canola oil |
|5 tablespoons orange juice, divided |
|1/2 cup fruit-sweetened black cherry preserves |
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and cherries in a large bowl.
- Add oil and 3 tablespoons orange juice, mixing well until all ingredients are full combined.
- Reserve a half cup of oat mixture and press the rest into a lightly oiled 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice with the cherry preserves and spread evenly over the oat mixture in the pan.
- Sprinkle reserved oat mixture over the top and press down lightly with fingers.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars or squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Calories from Fat: 80
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 60 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 26 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 14 g
Protein: 2 g