Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Sweet potatoes and apples add moistness and natural sweetness to this simple cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil an (8-inch) baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until well combined.
- Stir in apple, sweet potato, vanilla and walnuts and then add apple mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake, 40 to 50 minutes, until cake pulls away from the edges and is deep golden brown.
- Set aside to let cool and then cut into squares and serve.
Per serving (about 4oz/104g-wt.):
190 calories (45 from fat)
5g total fat
0.5g saturated fat
34g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 17g sugar)
*NOW items available at your local health food store