Adapted from JB’s Health Mart recipes
This batter can be made in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for 2-4 weeks.
Makes 2 dozen muffins
|3 cups wheat bran |
|1 cup boiling water |
|3/4 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Agave Nectar*|
|1/2 cup butter, softened |
|2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour |
|2 teaspoons baking soda |
|1 teaspoon sea salt |
|2 eggs, beaten |
|2 cups buttermilk or Greek yogurt |
- Blend butter and agave together; set aside.
- Mix 1 cup bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the moist bran with eggs, agave/butter mixture, buttermilk, flour, remaining 2 cups of bran, soda, and salt. Blend well.
- Place in refrigerator for future use or bake immediately.
- To bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir batter well and spoon into paper lined muffin tins, careful not to overfill.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Keep remaining mixture in airtight container for 2-4 weeks and bake as needed.
*NOW ingredients available at your local health food store.