Adapted from http://www.epicurious.com
Makes four small loaves
|2 to 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour |
|1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour |
|1 teaspoon baking soda |
|2 teaspoons salt |
|1 1/2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar |
|1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits |
|2/3 cup NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon toasted lightly and cooled NOW Real Food® Sesame Seeds*|
|1 1/3 cups buttermilk plus additional for brushing the breads |
- In a bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar, then add the butter, and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in oats and 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
- Add buttermilk gradually while stirring
- Stir the dough until it forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; knead in just enough of the remaining 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour to form a soft but not sticky dough, and knead the dough lightly for 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, form each piece into a ball, and flatten the balls slightly.
- Transfer the balls to a lightly buttered baking sheet, brush the tops with the additional buttermilk, and sprinkle them with the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Cut a 1/8-inch-deep X across each bread with a sharp knife and bake the breads in the middle of a preheated 425°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are browned lightly and sound hallow when the bottoms are tapped.
- Transfer the breads to a rack and let them cool completely.
Note: The breads keep, wrapped well in plastic wrap and foil, chilled for 1 week or frozen for 1 month.
*NOW items available at your local health food store