Adapted from Everyday Food magazine, January/February 2010
These muffins are surprisingly moist, even though they’re low in fat, thanks to nutritious, flavorful add-ins like carrots, banana and raisins.
Makes 12 muffins
|Nonstick cooking spray |
|1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled |
|1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar |
|1/2 tsp. baking soda |
|1/2 tsp. baking powder |
|1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg |
|1/2 tsp. coarse salt |
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Rolled Oats*|
|1/2 cup raisins |
|3 Tbsp. Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 large egg |
|1/3 cup skim milk |
|4 medium carrots, shredded |
|1 medium ripe banana, mashed |
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until there are no lumps.
- Stir in oats and raisins.
- Add oil, egg, milk, carrots, and banana and stir until blended.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean; 23 to 25 minutes.
- Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.
- Store remaining in an airtight container, up to 3 days.
4.7 g fat
3.6 g protein
33.9 g carbohydrates
2.2 g fiber
*NOW ingredients available at your local health food store