Chef Suzy Singh prepares a refreshing gluten-free, allergy-friendly tabbouleh salad featuring Living NOW's Amaranth grain and fresh parsley.
Makes 4 servings
|1 cup (6 ounces) Living Now™ Certified Organic Amaranth*|
|½ tsp ground cumin |
|1 teaspoon kosher salt |
|½ tsp ground black pepper |
|1 tomato, finely chopped |
|1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed, drained |
|2 cloves of garlic, finely minced |
|1 cucumber, finely chopped |
|½ sweet onion, finely chopped |
|1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, rinsed |
|1 cup tomatoes, small dice |
|¼ cup fresh mint, minced |
|¼ cup NOW Certified Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|¼ cup fresh lemon juice |
*NOW products available at your local health food store
1. Place 2 ½ cups of cold water in a small pot with ½ tsp salt , ½ tsp cumin, and 1 cup of amaranth.
2. Allow for the mixture to come up to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low; cover for 15-20 minutes, or until the water has evaporated.
4. Turn off the heat and allow for the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Fluff with a fork.
6. In a separate sauté pan, place 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, chopped onions, and chopped garlic.
7. Sauté for 3 minutes on medium heat or until the onions have softened.
8. In a bowl, combine the chopped flat leaf parsley with fresh mint, cucumbers, tomato, chickpeas, tomatoes, sautéed onions and garlic.
9. Add to the cooled amaranth.
10. Toss in olive oil and lemon juice.
11. Season with remaining ½ tsp salt and pepper and serve.