Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine, March 30, 2011
Slightly crunchy with a mild nutty flavor, barley is a very good source of fiber and selenium, and a good source of phosphorus, copper and manganese.
|1 tbsp plus 1 tsp (divided) Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|8 oz. mixed wild mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, cremini), sliced (about 3 1/2 cups) |
|1/4 tsp sea salt |
|5 oz butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup) |
|1/3 cup diced leeks, white and light green parts only |
|1 stalk celery, finely diced (about 1/2 cup) |
|1 cup uncooked barley |
|1 clove garlic, minced |
|3 1/2 cups low-fat, low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth |
|2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley |
|1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves |
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Raw Pumpkin Seeds*|
|1 1/2 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled |
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms begin to release their moisture, about 2 minutes.
- Add squash, leeks, celery and remaining 1 tsp oil and continue to cook, stirring until mushrooms are brown and squash is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add barley and garlic and stir until thoroughly coated and slightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add broth, parsley and thyme and stir.
- Transfer mixture to an 11-cup (2.6 L) casserole dish, cover and bake in oven until barley is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and cheese and return to oven.
- Bake uncovered, until seeds are toasted and cheese is softened; about 10 minutes.
Per 8-oz serving (using vegetable broth):
Total Fat: 6 g
Sat. Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sugars: 3 g
Protein: 7 g
Sodium: 208 mg
Cholesterol: 3 mg
*NOW items available at your local health food store