Apple Nut Crisp
The following recipe is from "Stevia Sweet Recipes", by Jeffrey Goettemoeller. Health-conscious readers will find over 165 creative recipes which use the herb, Stevia. In addition to dozens of mouth-watering dessert suggestions, "Stevia Sweet Recipes" provides a tantalizing array of breakfast, main course, salad and side-dish recipes - all sugar-free! This is a traditional Missouri dessert for a family meal.
|5 cups sliced apples|
|¼ to ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans|
|¼ cup unsweetened coconut meal|
|1 tsp. cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon NOW Real Food® Stevia Extract*|
|½ cup plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats, lightly chopped in a blender.|
|6 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|¼ cup natural apple juice|
|A dash of nutmeg|
|½ cup barley flour|
- Peel apples; peeling not necessary if they are organic.
- In a lightly oiled 8 x 8 inch baking dish place apples, then sprinkle with juice, nutmeg, and ½ tsp. cinnamon; stir.
- In a bowl, mix flour, stevia, ½ tsp. cinnamon, and oats, then stir in oil, walnuts, and coconut meal and spoon over apple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 50 minutes or until apples are tender. To prevent over-browning, loosely cover with aluminum foil the last 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Variations: Substitute whole wheat pastry flour for barley flour. For special events top with lemon ice cream.
*NOW items available at your local health food store