Maple Apple Pilaf
Adapted from the Vermont Maple Festival Cookbook, St. Albans, Vermont, 2005
If you would like more maple recipes, click here to obtain an order form for the complete cookbook: Vermont Maple Festival Cookbook
This is very high in fiber and has only one gram of fat.
|1 cup apple juice|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|1 cup bulgur wheat|
|1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped|
|1/2 cup raisins|
|2-3 Tablespoons NOW Real Food® Maple Syrup*|
|1/4 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Walnuts*|
- In a medium saucepan, combine apple juice and cinnamon; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in bulgur and reduce to low; simmer covered for 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed by the bulgur, but the texture is still a little tender and chewy.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
- Stir in chopped apple, raisins, and maple syrup. You may add chopped walnuts for added flavor and texture.
- Serve hot as a side dish, cold as a salad or room temperature.
*NOW items available at your local health food store