Nutty Wild Rice with Mushrooms
Reprinted with permission from In a Vegetarian Kitchen, www.vegkitchen.com
A cold dish suffused with nutty, sophisticated flavors, this is good served warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings
|1 vegetable bouillon cube|
|1/2 cup wild rice|
|1 /2 cup long-grain brown rice|
|2 ounces dried shiitake, maitake, or porcini mushrooms|
|1 cup sliced crimini or baby bella mushrooms|
|1 cup carrot, cut into 1 1/2-inch-long matchsticks|
|3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley|
|2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or scallions|
|1/4 cup finely chopped NOW Real Food® Walnuts*|
|1/3 cup natural, low-fat vinaigrette|
|Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Combine 3 1/2 cups water and the bouillon cube in a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the wild and brown rice, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed; about 45 minutes. Let the rice cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, soak the mushrooms in hot water for 15 minutes, then drain.
- If using shiitakes, trim and discard their tough stems.
- Slice the shiitakes or porcinis into narrow strips.
- Heat a nonstick skillet.
- Combine the fresh mushrooms in the skillet with a little water, then cover and "sweat" them over medium heat until just wilted; about 3 minutes.
- Combine the fresh and reconstituted mushrooms in a large mixing bowl with the rice mixture and all the remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*NOW items available at your local health food store