Mediterranean-Style Tomato Soup
Reprinted with permission from The United Soybean Board, www.talksoy.com/Recipes
This recipe meets the requirements for the new soy protein health claim! Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 25 grams of soy protein per day may reduce the risk of heart disease. One serving of Mediterranean - Style Tomato Soup provides 11 grams of soy protein.
Makes 18 servings
|1 cup chopped onion|
|1 tsp. salt|
|1 tsp. ground pepper|
|2 quarts diced tomatoes, canned|
|2 cups zucchini, diced (3/4-inch)|
|1 cup celery, sliced|
|½ cup parsley, chopped, optional|
|1 tsp. thyme leaves, dried, crumbled|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 Tbsp. vegetable oil|
|2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth|
|2 quarts water|
|3 cups (10 oz.) NOW Real Food® Textured Soy Protein*|
|2 cups brown rice, uncooked|
|2 tsp. oregano leaves|
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add broth, water, soy protein, brown rice and seasonings.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini and celery; return to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon minced parsley over each serving.
*NOW items available at your local health food store
Rate This Recipe