Quinoa Salad with Walnuts and Goldenberries
This salad tastes even better the next day, after the flavors are well mixed together. You can substitute raisins for the goldenberries and use almonds or pecans instead of walnuts.
|1 cup NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*, rinsed well|
|1 1/2 cup water, for quinoa|
|1 tablespoon Ellyndale Organics™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 small onion, finely diced|
|4 stalks of celery, finely diced|
|1 cup NOW Organic Walnuts*, chopped|
|3 green onions, chopped (green parts only)|
|1/2 cup NOW Goldenberries* or raisins|
|1 bunch flat leaf parsley, thoroughly rinsed and chopped|
|1 gala apple (or other apple variety of your choice)|
|1-2 large lemons, juiced|
|Generous drizzle of Ellyndale Organics™ Extra-Virgin Olive Oil*|
|Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
*NOW products available at your local health food store
- Boil the water with a pinch of salt, and add the rinsed quinoa.
- Turn stove down to medium-low and let it cook for roughly 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork, and let it cool in the fridge.
- Preheat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil and soften the finely chopped onion and celery. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Try not to brown them, cook 5 to 7 minutes on medium - low heat. Set aside in a large salad bowl.
- Rinse the parsley well and chop it finely, followed by the goldenberries or raisins and green onions.
- Add all this to the onion and celery mixture.
- Core and dice the apple, and add the apple chunks to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon over the apple.
- Add quinoa and walnuts the mixture and drizzle with the oil.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste. Season with more lemon juice if you like.
- Mix well and cool completely. Allow the flavors to combine for at least 20 minutes before serving.