Couscous, Raisin and Walnut Pudding
This nutritious pudding makes a healthy dessert or breakfast, with heart-healthy walnuts and whole grain couscous.
Makes four 1-cup servings
|2/3 cup water|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup uncooked couscous|
|3 cups fat-free milk (regular or almond milk)|
|1/4 cup packed brown sugar|
|1 large egg|
|1/4 cup raisins|
|1/4 cup NOW Organic Walnuts*|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon NOW Certified Organic Vanilla Extract*|
|4 teaspoons NOW Organic Maple Syrup*|
*NOW ingredients available at your local health food store
- Bring 2/3 cup water to a boil; stir in salt and couscous.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; stir until mixture is slightly thick.
- Transfer to a bowl; whisk in egg.
- Return to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add raisins and walnuts.
- Add cinnamon.
- Transfer to a clean bowl, and stir in vanilla.
- Let pudding cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into 4 bowls and chill, loosely covered, for at least 1 hour.
- Drizzle with maple syrup before serving.