Braised Zucchini Wheels with Sesame-Mint Pesto
Recipe courtesy of Vegetarian Times, www.VegetarianTimes.com
Braising--searing, then simmering in a small amount of water in a shallow pan--keeps the zucchini's texture firm but tender, rather than turning the vegetable into mush. This technique also works well with a prepared pesto if you're short on time.
|⅓ cup breadcrumbs|
|⅓ cup whole almonds|
|2 garlic cloves, peeled|
|2 Tbs. fresh mint leaves|
|2 tsp. lemon juice|
|1 tsp. grated lemon zest|
|1 ½ Tbs. olive oil|
|1 Tbs. sesame seeds|
|4 medium zucchini (2 lb.), cut into 5 wheels each|
- Pulse breadcrumbs, almonds, garlic, mint, lemon juice, and lemon zest in blender or food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Add oil and sesame seeds, and pulse several times to make chunky pesto.
- Score an X in each zucchini wheel to within 1/2 inch of bottom, making sure not to cut through.
- Gently pry each wheel open, and stuff with 1 heaping tsp. pesto.
- Place zucchini wheels snugly in single layer, stuffing-side up, in medium saucepan.
- Add 1 cup water, cover pan, and bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Cook 20 minutes, or until zucchini are tender.
- Serve hot, with cooking liquid drizzled over top.
Per serving (5 wheels):
Protein: 7 g
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 87 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 5 g
Rate This Recipe