Orange Rice Pilaf with Currants and Almonds
Adapted from Whole Foods Market
The sweet taste of oranges and dried currants complements the nutty-flavored brown rice and almonds in this pilaf, making ita perfect accompaniment to chicken or fish.
|1 tablespoon canola oil|
|1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped|
|1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice or basmati-wild rice blend|
|1 1/2 cup vegetable broth|
|3/4 cup orange juice|
|2 green onions, thinly sliced|
|1/2 cup dried currants|
|1/2 cup NOW Almonds*, chopped|
|/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
*NOW items available at your local health food store
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add yellow onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then add green onions, currants, almonds, cilantro and salt and pepper and fluff again
Calories from Fat: 80
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 420 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 46 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 14 g
Protein: 6 g