Brown Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms and Apricots
Adapted from WholeFoods Market Recipes
This is hearty, satisfying vegetarian fare that we've dished up in entrée-sized portions because all you need to make it a meal is a big green salad. Enjoy the flavors as you enjoy a very affordable meal!
|2 teaspoons Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1/4 pound sliced button mushrooms|
|2 portobello mushrooms, chopped|
|1/2 small onion, chopped|
|1 cup long-grain brown rice|
|2 cups water or vegetable broth|
|Salt and ground black pepper|
|1/2 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Dried Apricots*|
|1/2 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Walnuts*|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and thyme|
|1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar|
- In a medium saucepot, sauté mushrooms and onions in warmed oil over medium-high heat, stirring often; about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in rice, water or broth, salt & pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is completely absorbed; about 45 minutes.
- Remove covered pot from heat and let sit 10 minutes; uncover and fluff with fork.
- Transfer to large bowl, add apricots, walnuts, herbs, vinegar and toss to combine.
Nutrition per serving:
340 calories (120 from fat)
13 g total fat
1 g saturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
310 mg sodium
48 g total carbohydrate (6 g dietary fiber, 2 g sugar)
10 g protein
*NOW items available at your local health food store