Harvest Stuffed Acorn Squash
Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Cranberries, apples, walnuts and sage flavor a delicious stuffing in tender acorn squash.
|1/2 cup chopped yellow onion|
|2 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1 tablespoon NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 cups cooked rice, barley or NOW Real Food® Organic Quinoa*|
|2/3 cup dried cranberries, soaked in hot water and drained|
|2/3 cup chopped sweet potato or carrot, steamed until just tender|
|1/2 cup grated peeled apple|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Walnut Pieces*|
|2 tablespoons chopped parsley|
|1 teaspoon dried sage|
|Sea salt, to taste|
|Ground pepper, to taste|
|3 acorn squash|
|1 cup vegetable stock|
|2 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
- In a small pan, sauté onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat until soft but not browned.
- Place in a large bowl and add rice, cranberries, sweet potato, apple, walnuts, parsley, and sage.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice acorn squashes in half, and scrape out seeds and strings.
- Place squash halves, face down, in large casserole or roasting pan and fill with 1/2 inch of vegetable stock, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove, reserve any remaining stock, and place face side up in pan.
- Fill each cavity with about 1/2 to 2/3 cup stuffing.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and any remaining stock, and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until squashes are cooked and slightly soft to the touch; about 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of baking.
Per Serving (382 g-wt.):
390 calories (120 from fat)
14 g total fat
1.5 g saturated fat
7 g protein
66 g total carbohydrate (12 g dietary fiber, 12 g sugar)
0 mg cholesterol
250 mg sodium
*NOW items available from your local health food store
Rate This Recipe