Brown Rice and Vegetable Casserole
Adapted from Whole Foods Market recipes, www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes
This fiber-rich, hearty dish can be served as an entrée or paired with salmon or chicken. Feel free to use leftover brown rice in this recipe, and other grains such as wild rice and quinoa also work well.
|2 tablespoons Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|1 red bell pepper, chopped|
|1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms|
|1 medium zucchini, chopped|
|1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped|
|1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained|
|1/2 teaspoon sea salt|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|4 cups cooked long grain brown rice|
|1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese|
|2 eggs, beaten|
|2 tablespoons chopped parsley|
|2 tablespoons chopped oregano|
|2 tablespoons chopped chives|
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are just tender; 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, cooked vegetables, cheese, eggs, parsley and oregano.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Per serving (about 9 oz.):
190 calories (50 from fat)
6 g total fat
1.5 g saturated fat
7 g protein
28 g total carbohydrate (4 g dietary fiber, 4 g sugar)
45 mg cholesterol
260 mg sodium
*NOW items available at your local health food store