Eggplant Pasta Salad
Adapted from “Real Simple” magazine, July, 2007
|3 Tbsp. Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 celery stalks, sliced|
|1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1 pint grape tomatoes, halved|
|1/4 cup tomato paste|
|1/4 cup white wine vinegar|
|1/4 cup water|
|2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt|
|1/4 tsp. pepper|
|1 Tbsp. sugar or NOW Real Food® Xylitol*|
|2 Tbsp. capers|
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Pine Nuts*|
|1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped|
|1 lb. penne pasta|
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the sweetener, then stir into the eggplant mixture.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the capers, pine nuts (if using), and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne pasta according to the package directions.
- Toss with the remaining oil, let cool, and cover.
- Combine the eggplant with the pasta.
*NOW items available at your local health food store