Mediterranean Eggplant and Barley Salad
Adapted from Gourmet magazine, September, 2006, by NOW employee, Sherri Janes. Sherri says this dish takes some time to prepare, but it’s absolutely delicious! She serves it with fish for a wonderful vegetarian meal.
|1 ½ lbs. eggplant, cut into ½ -inch cubes|
|¾ lb. zucchini, cut into ½-inch cubes|
|10 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon black pepper|
|1 cup chopped scallion (one bunch)|
|1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin|
|½ teaspoon coriander|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne|
|1 ¼ cups pearl barley (8oz.)|
|¾ cup water|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1 (14 oz.) can reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (1 ¾ cups)|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|¼ teaspoon NOW Real Food® Xylitol*|
|½ lb. cherry tomatoes, quartered|
|1/3 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and halved|
|½ cup thinly sliced red onion|
|1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley|
|½ cup chopped fresh mint|
To roast eggplant and zucchini:
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss eggplant and zucchini with 5 tablespoons olive oil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¾ teaspoon black pepper in a bowl, then spread in two oiled large, shallow
- (1-inch deep) baking pans.
- Roast vegetables in oven, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 20-25 minutes total.
- Combine vegetables in one pan and cool, reserving other pan for cooling barley.
To cook barley:
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 3-to-4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallion, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, stirring until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add barley and cook, stirring until well-coated with oil, 2 minutes more.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed and barley is tender; 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to reserved shallow baking pan and spread to quickly cool, uncovered, to room temperature; about 20 minutes.
To make dressing and assemble salad:
- Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons oil in a large bowl.
- Add barley, roasted vegetables, and remaining ingredients to bowl with dressing and toss until combined well.
- Serve with slices of a hard cheese, such as parmesan.
Note: This salad can be made one day ahead and chilled, covered. Return to room temperature before serving.
*NOW items available at your local health food store