Brown Rice Salad with Olives and Capers
This satisfying main dish salad combines the crunch of pepper and the chewiness of rice with a tangy dressing.
|1 1/3 cups dry brown rice|
|1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips|
|1 small red onion, diced|
|½ cup small capers, rinsed and drained|
|½ cup pitted black olives, chopped|
|4 scallions, thinly sliced|
|¼ cup chopped fresh parsley|
|¼ cup chopped fresh dill|
|2 2/3 cups water|
|1 tbs. Dijon mustard|
|3 tbs. red wine vinegar|
|¼ tsp. sugar or honey|
|¼ tsp. salt|
|¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper or to taste|
|3 tbs. olive oil|
|1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips|
- Put rice and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed; about 1 hour.
- Put cooked rice in a medium serving bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, and sugar or honey.
- Whisk in salt and pepper; then oil.
- Pour mixture over warm rice and toss well.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Service warm or chilled.