Adapted from Whole Foods' recipes, www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes
This couscous dish combines dried fruits and nuts with an earthy blend of Moroccan spices. It makes a delicious accompaniment to seasoned meats, fish, vegetables or a Moroccan tagine. Serve freshly steamed or warmed up the next day.
|2 cups water|
|5 dried black mission figs, diced|
|5 diced NOW Real Food® Unsweetened Dried Apricots*|
|1 1/2 cups NOW Real Food® Organic Whole Wheat Couscous*|
|1/4 cup golden raisins|
|1 teaspoon turmeric|
|2 tablespoons NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2 cup red pepper, diced|
|1/2 cup yellow pepper, diced|
|1/4 cup red onion, diced|
|1/3 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Pistachio Nuts*|
|1/4 cup cilantro, chopped|
|Juice from 2 lemons|
|1/2 cup orange juice|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon ground ginger|
|1 tablespoon honey|
|Salt to taste|
|Pepper to taste|
- Place 2 cups of water in pot along with figs, apricots and raisins and heat to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, place couscous in a bowl with turmeric, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix couscous until it is well coated with olive oil.
- After water comes to a boil, remove dried fruits and set aside.
- Add water to the couscous and cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and allow to steam for 15 minutes.
- While couscous is steaming, prepare dressing by combining lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- When couscous is done, flake with a fork until all grains are fluffed and separated.
- Add dried fruits, red and yellow peppers, onion, nuts and cilantro.
- Pour in dressing.
- Gently mix together with a large serving spoon until all ingredients and dressing are well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
Per Serving (137 g-wt.):
410 calories (180 from fat)
20 g total fat
3 g saturated fat
7 g protein
51g total carbohydrate (4 g dietary fiber, 17 g sugar)
0 mg cholesterol
300 mg sodium
*NOW items available at your local health food store
Rate This Recipe