Reprinted with permission from Heather Fox, Ph.D., N.D., Health Education Specialist, from her September-October 2006 Newsletter
Have fun with this recipe and use it as a basic guide to making your own granola. Add whatever additional ingredients you like.
|6 cups NOW Real Food® Organic Rolled Oats*|
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Medium Unsweetened Coconut*|
|½ cup NOW Real Food® Raw, Hulled Sunflower Seeds*|
|½ cup NOW Real Food® Raw Pumpkin Seeds*|
|¼ cup NOW Real Food® Hulled Sesame Seeds*|
|½ cup NOW Real Food® Organic Flax Seed*|
|¼ cup NOW Real Food® Raw Almonds*|
|1 cup of NOW® Vanilla Protein Powder*|
|1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon|
|½ cup butter or NOW Real Food® Coconut Oil*|
|enough to moisten mixed dry ingredients NOW Real Food® Organic Maple Syrup*|
|½ cup raisins, optional|
- Mix well.
- Melt ½ cup of butter or coconut oil.
- Add sweetener of your choice. For moistness, a wet sweetener, such as maple syrup, is preferred.
- Combine these two ingredients well and them mix thoroughly with dry ingredients. Dry ingredients should be just somewhat tacky, not wet.
- Bake in a very slow oven (225 degrees F) for about one hour, stirring well, occasionally, so all ingredients brown slightly.
- As the granola is cooling, stir in ½ cup of raisins, if you wish. Do not add them before you roast the granola or they will turn into little hard nuggets.
*NOW items available at your local health food store