Adapted from Chicago Tribune, Food section, September 4, 2011
This sweet, buttery oat-and-nut mix makes a healthy snack or topping for a bowl of fruit and ice cream.
Makes about 7 cups
|4 1/2 cups quick-cook rolled oats|
|1/2 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Natural Almonds*|
|1/2 cup chopped NOW Real Food® Raw Pecans*|
|1/2 cup shelled NOW Real Food® Raw Pumpkin Seeds*|
|1 Tbsp. coarse salt|
|1/2 cup (1stick) unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup dark brown sugar|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Maple Syrup*|
|3 Tbsp. water|
- Mix together oats, almonds pecans, pumpkin seeds and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- Measure butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and water into a medium saucepan, then bring to a boil (watch closely; syrup will bubble up).
- Pour hot syrup into the well.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Slide sheets into a 300-degree oven.
- Bake, rotating trays and stirring the granola every 15 minutes, until golden brown and dry (but not brittle) to the touch; about 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Tumble into an airtight container; seal.
- Keep at room temperature for 2-3 weeks.
*NOW items available at your local health food store