Zesty Quinoa with Broccoli & Cashews
Adapted from www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a high-protein, gluten-free ancient grain that cooks much like rice and has a texture similar to couscous. Combined with lemon, onion, wine, cashews and sun-dried tomato, this is a delicious vegetarian entrée.
|1 Tbsp. Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 medium red onion, finely diced|
|1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped|
|1/2 cup vegetable broth|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|2 Tbsp. lemon juice|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Quinoa*|
|1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste|
|1 cup broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces|
|1/2 cup NOW Real Food® Raw Cashews*|
|2 scallions, thinly sliced|
- Heat the olive oil over medium health in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, vegetable stock, wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the quinoa and salt.
- Reduce heat, and simmer covered about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli on top and simmer an additional 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat, toss gently until combined.
- Add ground pepper and additional salt, if desired, to taste.
- Garnish with cashews and scallions before serving.
Nutritional info per 6.25 oz. serving:
280 calories (120 from fat)
13 g total fat
2.5 g saturated fat
4 g dietary fiber
9 g protein
31 g carbohydrate
0 mg cholesterol
120 mg sodium
*NOW items available at your local health food store