Bulghur and Flax Pilaf
A tasty alternative to potatoes or plain rice.
From Flax Council of Canada, www.flaxcouncil.ca
|2 Tbsp. butter or margarine|
|1 cup bulghur wheat*|
|¼ cup flax seed|
|1/3 cup minced onion|
|1 small tomato, diced|
|2 cups chicken broth (See Note below.)|
|½ tsp. salt (See Note below.)|
|¼ tsp. crushed rosemary or 1 tsp. fresh, chopped (any herb may be substituted)|
- In medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter or margarine.
- Add bulghur, flax seed and onion, and stir until bulghur is golden brown and flax is turning dark; about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, chicken broth, salt and rosemary.
- Cover, heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid, and lift pilaf with fork.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Note: The salt may be omitted or low-sodium chicken broth may be used for a lower-sodium version of this recipe.
*NOW items available at your local health food store
Rate This Recipe