This crustless quiche recipe is made with quinoa and your choice of kale or spinach.
Yields about 8 slices
|1/2 cup uncooked NOW Organic Quinoa Grain*|
|1 cup water|
|2 tablespoons Ellyndale Organics™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 bunch (about 3 cups chopped) kale, stems removed and cut into ribbons. You may substitute spinach for the kale.|
|1 Vidalia onion or a small bunch of green onions (4-5 onions), thinly sliced|
|1/2 cup diced tomato or 1/2 cup chopped portabella mushrooms|
|2 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1/2 cup cheddar cheese|
|3 ounces cream cheese, cubed|
|1 Tablespoon NOW Nutritional Yeast Flakes*|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
*NOW products available at your local health food store
1. Rinse the quinoa.
2. Combine the quinoa and water in a pan.
3. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer. This will take about twenty minutes. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, start to caramelize the onions. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat.
5. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions. Slowly cook until the onions are soft and browned. Add tomatoes or mushrooms during the last minute or two of cooking time.
6. Remove the onions from the pan, and place them in a large mixing bowl.
7. Add the kale into the hot onion pan.
8. On medium heat, cook until the kale is wilted and bright green, about two minutes.
9. Allow the greens to cool. Squeeze out any extra liquid using a sieve or a clean dish towel.
10. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9-inch pie dish (either butter the dish thoroughly or spray with baking spray).
11. Add the kale, quinoa, garlic, cream cheese, nutritional yeast, and cheddar cheese to the mixing bowl.
12. Stir the ingredients so that they are evenly distributed.
13. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs so that they are well combined.
14. Pour over the quinoa/kale mixture. Stir until the egg clings to the greens.
15. Add salt and pepper.
16. Pour the mixture in the prepared pie dish.
17. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden and the pie has started to pull away from the edge of the baking dish.
18. This dish is delightful hot, but even better at room temperature.